[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.1.0-0.4

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Jul 6 15:55:00 GMT 2015

> Does emacs call setrlimit by any chance?

Yes, that's the problem.  The initialization code contains essentially the
following:

if (!getrlimit (RLIMIT_STACK, &rlim))
     {
       long newlim;
       /* Approximate the amount regex.c needs per unit of re_max_failures.  */
       int ratio = 20 * sizeof (char *);
       /* Then add 33% to cover the size of the smaller stacks that regex.c
	 successively allocates and discards, on its way to the maximum.  */
       ratio += ratio / 3;
       /* Add in some extra to cover
	 what we're likely to use for other reasons.  */
       newlim = re_max_failures * ratio + 200000;
       if (newlim > rlim.rlim_max)
	{
	  newlim = rlim.rlim_max;
	  /* Don't let regex.c overflow the stack we have.  */
	  re_max_failures = (newlim - 200000) / ratio;
	}
       if (rlim.rlim_cur < newlim)
	rlim.rlim_cur = newlim;

       setrlimit (RLIMIT_STACK, &rlim);
     }

If I disable that code, the problem goes away: rlim_cur is set to the expected
0x7fd000 in handle_sigsegv, and emacs recovers from the stack overflow.

I think I probably should disable that code on Cygwin anyway, because there's
simply no need for it.  Some time ago I discovered that the default 2MB stack
size was not big enough for emacs on Cygwin, and I made emacs use 8MB instead.
So there's no need to enlarge it further.

> Btw., *if* emacs calls setrlimit and then expects getrlimit to return
> the *actual* size of the stack, rather than expecting that rlim_cur is
> just a default value when setting up stacks, it's really doing something
> borderline.
>
> There's simply *no* guarantee that a stack can be extended to this size.
> Any mmap() call could disallow growing the stack beyond its initial
> size.  Worse, on Linux you can even mmap so that the stack doesn't
> grow to the supposed initial maximum size at all.  The reason is that
> Linux doesn't know the concept of "reserved" virtual memory, but the
> stack is initially not commited in full either.
>
> If you want to know how big your current stack *actually* is, you can
> utilize pthread_getattr_np on Linux and Cygwin, like this:
>
> #include <pthread.h>
>
>    static void
>    handle_sigsegv (int sig, siginfo_t *siginfo, void *arg)
>    {
>      pthread_attr_t attr;
>      size_t stacksize;
>
>      if (!pthread_getattr_np (pthread_self (), &attr)
> 	&& !pthread_attr_getstacksize (&attr, &stacksize))
>        {
> 	beg = stack_bottom;
> 	end = stack_bottom + stack_direction * stacksize;
>
> 	[...]
>
> Unfortunately this is non-portable as well, as the trailing _np denotes,
> but at least there *is* a reliable method on Linux and Cygwin...

Thanks.  That fixes the problem too, even with the call to setrlimit left in.
I'll report this to the emacs developers.

Ken