Subversion (svn.exe) prepending current directory to target path when using Windows path format.

Hans Deragon hans@deragon.biz
Thu Jan 22 19:28:00 GMT 2015

Greetings,

When I run Cygwin subversion command (svn) with a Windows formatted path
(C:\dir1\dir2\...), for some reason it prepends the current directory
(${PWD}) in Cygwin format (/cygdrive/c/...) to the target path in
Windows format, causing the command to fail.  Using a target path
expressed in Cygwin format works fine.

Windows path (failure):

   svn info 'C:\Users\user1\companyprojects\project1\trunk\pom.xml'
   svn: E155007:
'/cygdrive/c/temp/C:\Users\user1\companyprojects\project1\trunk\pom.xml'
is not a working copy

   Here, /cygdrive/c/temp/ is the current path.  I tested under other
paths and the same problem occurs.

Cygwin path (works):

   svn info
/cygdrive/c/Users/user1/companyprojects/project1/trunk/pom.xml
   Name: pom.xml
   Working Copy Root Path:
/cygdrive/c/Users/user1/companyprojects/project1/trunk
   [...deleted extra output...]

I could provide the output of strace if anybody would look at it.

For those asking why I do not provide a Cygwin path (/cygdrive/c/..) in
the first place, it is because I would like my Java IDE (Intellij IDEA)
to make use of the same svn.exe executable that I use under Cygwin (thus
having the best compatibility; its the same tool running).  Obviously,
my IDE provides paths in Windows format to svn.exe; this is how I found
the bug.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon