[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-005

Thu Jan 22 09:18:00 GMT 2015

Hi Denis,

On Jan 22 00:21, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> On 2015-01-20 17:42, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > I released another TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin release.
> > The version number is 1.7.34-005.
>
> I compiled this one successfully on CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 (W7 with Cygwin 32bits), but on
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 (XP) i get:
> make: *** INTERNAL: readdir: No such file or directory.  Stop.
>
> More precisely it fails when inside the ./cygserver folder:
> % make -d |& tail
>      Prerequisite '/tmp/lcl/tmp/cygwin/src/winsup/cygserver/transport.h' is older than target 'pwdgrp.o'.
>      Prerequisite '/tmp/lcl/tmp/cygwin/src/winsup//cygwin/cygserver_pwdgrp.h' is older than target 'pwdgrp.o'.
>      Prerequisite '/tmp/lcl/tmp/cygwin/src/winsup//cygwin/cygserver.h' is older than target 'pwdgrp.o'.
>     No need to remake target 'pwdgrp.o'.
>     Considering target file '/tmp/lcl/tmp/cygwin/obj/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin/version.o'.
>      Looking for an implicit rule for '/tmp/lcl/tmp/cygwin/obj/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin/version.o'.
>      Trying pattern rule with stem 'version'.
>      Trying implicit prerequisite '/version.cc'.
> make: *** INTERNAL: readdir: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: /tmp/lcl/tmp/cygwin/obj/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin/version.o: Field 'stem' not cached: version
> %
>
> Like advertised, it seems to have something to do with the internals of the make utility, therefore i
> restarted the compilation anew with 'make --no-builtin-rules' (or '-r') with the same result. In the
> cygserver folder, i replaced
> CYGWIN_OBJS:=$(cygwin_build)/version.o
> by
> CYGWIN_OBJS:=
> (since version.o is already built anyway) with also the same result. No further idea for the moment.
>
> The last snapshot (20150119) has the same problem (again, only for XP). Older snapshots i don't know,
> but 20150113 was OK. I cannot formally exclude antivirus and all such kinds of things.
>
> Probably the bug-make mailing list would be more appropriate. Hope this helps though.

This doesn't look like an actual Cygwin problem.  There's no difference
between XP and W7 inside of Cygwin which would explain this behaviour.

Maybe it's just XP getting old? ;)

(idle musing: maybe it's time to stop supporting XP...)

Corinna

Red Hat