Failure in merging win-env vars into post-'login'...

Mon Jan 19 10:26:00 GMT 2015

On Jan 16 17:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Linda Walsh wrote:
> >It *looks*, at this point that my userid isn't being passed from inetd to
> >rlogind
> >so it can read the ".rhosts" file in my WIN-HOME (USERPROFILE or
> >HOMEDRIVE:\HOMEPATH).
> ----
> Not quite sure how 'rlogin.exe' as "spawned" by "inetd.exe"
> gets my UID as it's env already seems clear (Has PATH(long), SYSTEMDRIVE
> SYSTEMROOT and WINDIR)... but nothing identifying my home dir, except
> the 'token' as passed from 'inetd.exe' which I re-started manually,
> interactively, after re-installing the earlier version of cygwin and
> "cycling" all the cygwin processes.
>
> However 'rlogin' DOES read C:\Users\law.Bliss\.rhosts in the previous
> cygwin version (1.7.33-1) and is able to launch 'login' which
> launches 'bash' as a login shell w/no PW.

So you're running everything under your own account?  If so, the
new code in Cygwin merging the user env won't help you.  The merge
only takes place when changing the user context, which usually would
occur when login calls bash.  Not so in your setup, though.

Corinna

Red Hat