[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-003 (Christmas/New Year release)

Achim Gratz Stromeko@NexGo.DE
Wed Jan 7 18:43:00 GMT 2015

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > but that would produce some rather unwieldy and long paths for certain
> > users.  So, instead of specifying the users' home directory directly I
> > would like to mount or auto-mount /home/≤user> to the actual (network)
> > home directory.
>
> Hmm.  That's tricky.  There's no automatism for that yet.  Nsswitch.conf
> only describes how to create the passwd entry for a user.  It does not
> add any mechanism to run at user context switch.  And not everybody
> would like to have something like that so it needs configuration.
>
> I'm not opposed to stuff like that if it simplifies admin's job, but on
> one hand we should evaluate first if there's a way to script that,
> rather than to hardcode it into the Cygwin DLL, and on the other hand
> it's not something I'd like to add for the first cut of 1.7.34...

I agree that this is not something that belongs into nsswitch.conf, but
since those mounts are working a bit differently on Cygwin than Linux I'd
expect that in order to make some auto-mount facility available the DLL
would need to know about it and provide at least some hooks to set them up
correctly before any process tries to use them.

> > > - When spawning a process under another user account, merge the user's
> > >   default Windows environment into the new process' environment.
> >
> > I think this change pulls in additional environment variables with
> > windows path components when starting programs via cygserver/sshd that
> > are not a login shell (and perhaps when the user's login shell isn't
> > bash, so that profile doesn't get run), most notably PATH, TMP and TEMP.
> > If these variables are used later on by programs expecting a POSIX path
> > there, then things break.
>
> Did you try it?  The idea was that these variables are converted to POSIX
> on the way in...

They aren't, but even if they were I don't think it's the right thing to do
for some variables.  Slightly edited:

~ > ssh -XA gratz@server -t env
HOMEPATH=\\homes\gratz\GNU
APPDATA=C:\Users\gratz\AppData\Roaming
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
TERM=xterm-256color
SHELL=/bin/bash
WINDIR=C:\Windows
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
USERDOMAIN=EU
SSH_TTY=/dev/pty0
OS=Windows_NT
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
USER=gratz
TEMP=C:\Users\gratz\AppData\Local\Temp
USERNAME=gratz
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
MAIL=/var/spool/mail//gratz
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
PWD=/home/gratz
ServerType=Standard
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
CYGWIN_ROOT=D:\Freeware\Cygwin\
CYGWIN64_ROOT=D:\Freeware\Cygwin64\
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\gratz
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\gratz\AppData\Local
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
SHLVL=1
HOME=/home/gratz
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMSPEC=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
TMP=C:\Users\gratz\AppData\Local\Temp
CYGWIN32_ROOT=D:\Freeware\Cygwin32\
LOGNAME=gratz