slow startup after upgrade

Roger Orr rogero@howzatt.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 07:17:00 GMT 2015

Hi Corinna,
sounds good. I'll give this a go, all being well, tomorrow.

In other news it appears that the ADInsightDll uses some shared data to
communicate, so in order to get ADInsight to work with injection one has to
ensure that the DLL injected is the same actual *file* as the one loaded by
the ADInsight program (in the (windows) %TEMP% directory) - a copy of the
DLL doesn't seem to be effective.

Regards,
Roger.

-----Original Message-----
From: Corinna Vinschen [mailto:corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com]
Sent: 23 February 2015 21:16
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Cc: Roger Orr
Subject: Re: slow startup after upgrade

Hi Roger,

On Feb 16 20:02, Roger Orr wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > So I'd think the best way forward is to update to the
> > 1.7.35-0.1 test release and report further from there.
>
> Thanks, this does help a little. However I will still be using the 'files'
> setting.
>
> Here are some results in case they're of interest. (Windows 7/64 with
> cygwin/64.)
>
> 1) Running cygwin "echo.exe" from a cmd.exe command shell
>
> a) With passwd: files and group: files in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>   0.03 - 0.4 s
>
> b) With 1.7.34 and default /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
>   around 120s
>
> C) With 1.7.35 and default /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
>   4.4 - 4.6s

I rewrote the function responsible for the slow startup, the one
fetching all the group information for the groups in your user token.

As I just wrote in my mail to Dennis Hagarty, the performance improvement
should be noticable, even with /etc/nsswitch.conf only using the "db"
setting for groups.  The group info for a user token with 150 groups was
fetched in ~50 ms rather than the ~300ms of the former code.

Can you test this again with the Cygwin DLL from the latest developer
snaphshot at https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ please?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat