Cygwin DLLs being modified somehow?

Michael DePaulo
Mon Feb 23 10:42:00 GMT 2015

I am seeing very weird behavior and I am hoping that someone can explain it.

This happens on 2 different machines. My personal Windows 10 64-bit
machine, and a Windows 7 64-bit VM hosted by the X2Go project on
another continent.

It seems to be happening to multiple DLLs, but I will list one example below.

I install 32-bit Cygwin with the 2.870 installer

libopenssl100 is one of the packages that gets installed. It is at
version. 1.0.1k-1

/bin/cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll always appears to be 1,820,199 bytes, and it
always appears to be last modified on 1/8/2015 20:30 UTC.

When I extract it from the tarball:
Its md5sum is:
And its sha256sum is:

Yet on both systems, once installed, its m5sum and sha1sum differ!

On my personal machine

On the X2Go project machine:

I do not know assembly. Another X2Go Developer, Mihai Moldovan (CC'd)
and I took a brief look at the disassembled output from objdump. It
looks like the addresses differ.


Problem reports:
Unsubscribe info:

More information about the Cygwin mailing list