Clearing O_NONBLOCK from a pipe may lose data

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sun Feb 22 07:12:00 GMT 2015

Am 20.02.2015 um 11:13 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Feb 20 08:56, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 20.02.2015 um 00:47 schrieb Andrey Repin:
>>> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>>> You can't "just flush" it, if the receiving end isn't reading from it.
>> By flushing I meant actually waiting until it's been consumed at the
>> other end in this case, if that's technically feasible.
> You mean the actual act of changing the descriptor from non-blocking
> to blocking, as in fcntl(fd, F_SETFL), shall perform the same action
> of waiting as the close call on non-blocking descriptors does?
Yes.
>> I see no strict requirement that the fcntl call removing O_NONBLOCK from
>> a file descriptor should itself still be handled as nonblocking (it can
>> well be argued that the flag is changed first and then the call is
>> allowed to block) - and even if this were not proper it is certainly
>> more acceptable than losing data.
> I'm not sure that works as desired, but it's probably worth a try.  An
> fcntl method for pipes has to be added (there is none yet, it's all done
> in fhandler_base::fcntl), then the F_SETFL command would have to be
> augmented to create a thread calling FlushFileBuffers (which is
> *supposed* to work on pipe handles but I never tried it myself), and the
> fcntl call would have to wait for thread completion, allowing
> interruption by signals (calling cygwait, that is).
where the actual code (as I understood you) could be copied from close()
code. Although I looked into the code and didn't find the place where
close would lead to FlushFileBuffers...
> The question with stuff like this is usually, how long are you willing to wait?
Indefinitely...
>    You never know what the reader side of a pipe is doing.  It
> might just be busy and intends to read from the pipe in a second, a
> minute, or an hour.
... like it is normal when feeding a pipe in blocking mode (which we
just switched to). I don't see a problem here.
------
Thomas