execlp/execvp needs case-correct PATH

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Feb 10 19:14:00 GMT 2015

Am 10.02.2015 um 10:27 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Feb  9 21:49, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Sorry, I forgot one detail: I added /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32 to my path
>> so the shell will find it, but yet execlp does not find it.
> Which makes sense, given that notepad is not in C:\Windows\System32, but in C:\Windows.
On my systems (Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate) it’s in both C:\Windows
and C:\Windows\System32
(otherwise the shell wouldn’t have found it after adding to the path).

However, I could resolve the issue partly by putting
/cygdrive/c/Windows (or ../System32) in the path *before* the bogus
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS - weird, but this way exec*p works.

With the old setting (bogus first in path), apparently/assumedly exec*p
somehow finds the file in /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS but then cannot start it
from there because of the case mis-match.
There’s still the inconsistency with shell behaviour.

------
Thomas

---