Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.867)

Luke Kendall luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Mon Feb 9 05:08:00 GMT 2015

On 06/02/15 17:56, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Luke Kendall!
>
>>> A new version of Setup, release 2.867, has been uploaded to
>>>
>>>     https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
>>>     https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
>>>
>>> The changes compared to 2.864 are mostly not visible:
>>>
>>> - There's one fix to the output when mistyping a command line option.
>>>
>>> - More importantly, Setup now understands SHA512 checksums additionally
>>>     to MD5 checksums.  We're going to switch to using SHA512 checksums in
>>>     the setup.ini files in a couple of weeks and this requires all of you
>>>     to use the newer Setup version.
>>>

>>> Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list
>>> cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.
>>>

>>> Have fun,
>>> Corinna
>>>

>> I was just wondering, will you be dropping the md5.sum files from the
>> package directories at the same time?  I'd be happy to see them
>> disappear from the mirrors - they're an internal thing, right?  Just
>> this week I noticed that cygwin64-gcc-4.8.3-4-src.tar.xz's md5 checksum
>> in its md5.sum file was incorrect (but its md5 in setup.ini was of
>> course correct).
>
> You're not the first one to notice occasional mirror desyncs.
> This question has been raised at least once already.
>
>> Though I'm probably the only person on the planet who cares. :-)  It's
>> just an idle question.
>
> That's just a desync in mirror. Normally fixes itself in a matter of hours.

Actually, our experience is that the errors generally last weeks or even
months.  E.g. the one I mentioned above has been over a week now.  Maybe
we simply have bad luck picking mirror sites. :-)

> P.S.
> Would be wonderful, if you teach your mail agent to insert proper threading
> headers.

Hopefully that happened simply because I replied to the message on the
Announce list, rather than the one from this ML.  So this email should
be okay.  (I'm using TB 31.4, so I think it knows how to do it.)  Sorry
about that.

luke