setfacl to remove a permission implicit adds another

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Dec 18 15:29:00 GMT 2015

For my Desktop folder (as logged below), SYSTEM had group write permission,
other groups did not have write permissions (by mask).
After removing SYSTEM write permission with setfacl,
it was effectively removed for SYSTEM but the other groups got
write permission ADDED instead (as also properly indicated by ls) −
which is kind of the opposite of the intended operation.
Only after removing group write permission with chmod,
a suitable mask was reestablished, effectively restoring the previous
setting.
Why did this specific setfacl operation affect the mask at all?

I know there will be some trade-off in POSIX/Windows interworking ACL
handling,
and the current mechanism has undergone a long phase of considerations
and changes, so if this trade-off is better than others, so be it.
Just wondering.

Kind regards,
Thomas

NB: The purpose of this setting is to prevent stubborn IT management
procedures from cluttering my desktop with their useless icons:/

user[en_US.UTF-8]:/cygdrive/c/Users/Public: getfacl Desktop
# file: Desktop/
# owner: user
# group: Administrators
user::rwx
group::---
group:BATCH:rwx                         #effective:r-x
group:INTERACTIVE:rwx                   #effective:r-x
group:SERVICE:rwx                       #effective:r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:---
mask:r-x
other:---
default:user::rwx
default:group::---
default:group:BATCH:rwx
default:group:INTERACTIVE:rwx
default:group:SERVICE:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

user[en_US.UTF-8]:/cygdrive/c/Users/Public: setfacl -m group:SYSTEM:r-x
Desktop
user[en_US.UTF-8]:/cygdrive/c/Users/Public: getfacl Desktop
# file: Desktop/
# owner: user
# group: Administrators
user::rwx
group::---
group:BATCH:rwx
group:INTERACTIVE:rwx
group:SERVICE:rwx
group:SYSTEM:r-x
group:Administrators:---
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user::rwx
default:group::---
default:group:BATCH:rwx
default:group:INTERACTIVE:rwx
default:group:SERVICE:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

user[en_US.UTF-8]:/cygdrive/c/Users/Public: ls -ld Desktop
total 9
drwxrwx---+ 1 user       Administrators   0 Dec 18 11:07 Desktop
user[en_US.UTF-8]:/cygdrive/c/Users/Public: chmod g-w Desktop
user[en_US.UTF-8]:/cygdrive/c/Users/Public: ls -ld Desktop
total 9
drwxr-x---+ 1 user       Administrators   0 Dec 18 11:07 Desktop