[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.4.0-0.11

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Dec 17 20:39:00 GMT 2015

> On Dec 17 13:47, Ken Brown wrote:
>> Hi Corinna,
>>
>> On 12/17/2015 4:36 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Hi Ken,

>>> This puzzles me.  It looks like you're missing sys/types.h when
>>> including sys/signal,h, but sys/signal.h includes sys/types.h by
>>> itself, prior to including cygwin/signal.h.
>>>
>>> How can I reproduce this?  An STC like this:
>>>
>>>    #include <signal.h>
>>>    main () {}
>>>
>>> is definitely not sufficient.
>>
>> Sorry, I hadn't looked at what was happening closely enough before sending
>> my mail.  The errors occur while compiling some Gnulib modules in the emacs
>> source tree.  It may take me a while to sort this out. Maybe Gnulib will
>> have to be patched to take Cygwin's new header layout into account.
>
> I'm still puzzled.  The changes, especially to sys/signal.h and
> cygwin/signal.h are rather minor.  The really big thing is to move the
> macros related to select(2) from sys/types.h, where they never really
> belonged to, into sys/select.h, rather than including sys/types.h from
> sys/select.h.  Especially the changes to sys/signal.h and cygwin/signal.h
> don't really add up to the error messages you encounter.  I inspected
> the files today and I really don't see how this could happen :(

Here's what happens:

One of the Gnulib modules includes sys/types.h, which includes
sys/select.h because of the recent changes.  This brings in Gnulib's
sys/select.h, which includes signal.h.  We then get the errors I posted
because we haven't yet finished including sys/types.h.

All the build errors disappear if I remove '#include <sys/select.h>'
from sys/types.h.  You said above that the macros related to select
don't really belong in sys/types.h.  So why does the latter include
sys/select.h?

Ken