Some programs (vi, ssh) crash when screen buffer height is big

Warren Young wyml@etr-usa.com
Thu Aug 20 21:45:00 GMT 2015

On Aug 20, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Sous Lesquels <a9f54d2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think this message will thread correctly.

Actually, it did here.

> However, just had a completely fresh Win7 and Cygwin install

You are aware that Microsoft is giving out free Windows 10 upgrades to valid Windows 7 license holders, right?

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

I bring it up not just because it’s the new shiny, but also because I continue to be unable to reproduce your symptom under Windows 10, and Microsoft did a huge amount of work on the Windows console in this release:

    https://goo.gl/t9KXpC

I’ve also failed to reproduce your symptom under MinTTY, though you may be interested to know that the test cycle completes in about 1/12 the time here. :)  (Over 2 min for cmd.exe vs about 10 sec for MinTTY.)

(You can make the test script time(1)-able by adding “-c q” to the vim command, so that it immediately quits after loading the log file.)

I did 5+ test runs under each console.

When you say “completely fresh…Cygwin”, do you mean that you didn’t even start with an archive of downloaded packages?  Did you use a different package mirror?

I don’t know if this is relevant, but have you done a memtest86 (or similar) pass on that machine?  Dodgy RAM could explain intermittent calloc() failures.