X Windows disappearing/unmapping (Win10 + 3rd party virtual desktops)

Greywolf greywolf@starwolf.com
Mon Aug 17 09:08:00 GMT 2015

ENVIRONMENT:
	OS:	Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
	Cygwin:
		setup 2.871
		X11 1.17.2 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin);
			package version	1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09
		xterm 318-1
	OTHER:
		3rd party virtual desktop managers - have tried with
		- dexpot 1.6
		- virtuawin 4.3

WHAT HAPPENS:

1.  I start mintty, which starts bash.
2.  I start an X server; DISPLAY=:0
3.  I start an xterm on the local host, to $DISPLAY.
4.  I switch to another desktop on the desktop manager.
5.  I return to that window, and the xterm window vanishes.
	- the processes bound to the window are still running,
	  as is the xterm itself.
6.  I see no way to access or return the window to the desktop.
* even winlister no longer can access the window handle.

The window just hops off the deep end, never to be seen again,
but everything connected with that window remains present.

The only desktop manager it works with is the one that comes with Win10,
but that lacks some features; notably, the ability to directly access a
desktop with a keystroke.  It is just not a viable alternative.

WHY I AM SUBMITTING THIS AS A CYGWIN BUG:

Because this happens as a result of using at least two different
non-microsoft desktop managers, and ONLY X11-based applications
are vanishing (xterm plus, as a test, xfd).

				--*greywolf;