run.exe fails to start XWin on Windows 8.1 through the shortcut

Jaakov j_k_v@ro.ru
Thu Aug 13 16:01:00 GMT 2015

> Jaakov Jaakov writes:
>> >XWin fails to start again (previously reported half a year ago or so).
>> >
>> >The command issued by a shortcut is
>> >C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "cd; /usr/bin/startxwin"
> Can you reproduce this when running the same command from cmd or
> mintty?  If yes, could you run it in a debugger?

Thank you, Achim & Jon.

I'll try issuing this command from cmd as soon as possible (in a few
days, hopefully, I'll get to the machine in question again) and report
here. I won't be able to use a debugger unless given precise
instructions. I'm unsure about know what mintty is (Cygwin64 text
console?), but, if I find it out, I'll also start it from mintty.

Jon is right: the initial value of t is indeterminate according to the C
standard. The compilers may (and usually will) produce an arbitrarily
weird code consistent with this semantics.

Best,

Jaakov