X: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Aug 7 09:26:00 GMT 2015

On 06/08/2015 17:56, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> I've upgraded my setup yesterday and ran into a problem running the X
> server. X ran just fine before the upgrade, just like any X client I
> threw at it. I'm aware that some defaults have changed in the couple of
> months since I upgraded, and I hope I've done everything the FAQ
> recommends to accommodate these changes. However, no joy.
>
> Starting the X server now is noticeably slower, regardless of how I
> start it (Windows start menu, startx, or my hitherto preferred method
> startxwin). Biggest problem though is that local X clients cannot
> connect. The server output is like this:
>
> $ startxwin /usr/bin/xterm
> xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
> xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
> xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist
> xauth:  file /home/markus.hoenicka/.Xauthority does not exist

startxwin is just a shell script (based on the standard startx), which
invokes xauth to add an authorization cookie to ~/Xauthority (which is
also passed to the server using the -auth option)

> The file ~/.Xauthority is created during startup, and it is empty
> after the server shuts down. It does not make any difference if I
> remove the empty file before restarting the X server.

It should have some (binary) content while the server is running, but
that seems to be failing to happen, for some reason.

> As a workaround I can start XWin manually like this:
> /usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow

This works, of course, because this doesn't use -auth.

> However, I suppose the default behaviour of startx and startxwin was not
> intended to perform like this. Did I miss something obvious?

Indeed.

Is there anything unusual about your home directory?

You might try modifying startxwin to remove the -q from xauth -q to see
if that reveals a bit more information.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer