From Microsoft: Windows 10 Console and Cygwin

Michael DePaulo mikedep333@gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 23:43:00 GMT 2015

Hi, see bottom post.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> nice to read from you.
>
> On Apr 29 19:01, Rich Eizenhoefer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm the Program Manager at Microsoft for the updated Windows 10
>> console. I searched the Cygwin FAQ and mailing list archives for
>> issues related to Windows 10 and found an item about multiple windows
>> which should already be fixed. We have received a couple reports about
>> crashes when running on Windows 10 with the new console enabled. For
>> example:
>>
>> "cygwin is dying when i run a bunch of the git tools. For example: >grep -rin log .\ 0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32 error 487 AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x68570000, RegionSize 0x3A0000, State 0x10000 C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\grep.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 0"
>
> This error message is a bit weird.  For one thing, it would be nice if
> you could give us a pointer to the message.  I'm not aware of such a bug
> report.
>
> Also, this is about a non-Cygwin version of git as the path to the git
> tools suggests.  On the other hand, if it's not a Cygwin version, the
> error message itself only makes marginal sense.  So maybe it's a Cygwin
> DLL as part of some third party package which is often outdated in
> relation to the official Cygwin distro version.
>
> As for the error message itself, it refers to the fact that, after a
> Cygwin fork() call, the forked child can't reserve the space required
> for the so-called "cygwin heap", a region used for internal usage
> especially important for fork/exec related stuff.  This usually points
> to Cygwin DLLs which are not rebased, or a non-Cygwin DLL loaded into a
> spot required for a Cygwin DLL after a fork.  This is especially a
> problem on 32 bit due to the restricted virtual memory.
>
> However, if I'm not completely off-track, the bug report does not really
> have anything to do with a bad interaction between the W10 console and
> Cygwin.  While my own W10 virtual machine under Qemu/KVM fails to update
> to versions after build 9926, I didn't encounter any unusual behaviour
> of the W10 console in comparison with, say, the W8.1 console yet.  I'm
> usually running Cygwin tools in mintty, but I did test the W10 console,
> too, of course.
[...]

Allow me to clarify.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\" is "Git for Windows", AKA "msysgit":
https://msysgit.github.io/

As explained on README.md, it uses a MSys:
https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit

And as explained on that README.md, MSys is a fork of an old version of Cygwin.

MSys's home page is here, it is part of the MinGW project:
http://mingw.org/wiki/msys

-Mike