[TESTERS needed] New POSIX permission handling

Fri Apr 17 07:30:00 GMT 2015

Hi Ismail,

On Apr 16 09:48, Ismail Donmez wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> > On Apr 16 09:09, Ismail Donmez wrote:
> >> [~/src/mutt]> chmod +x config.status
> >> chmod: changing permissions of ‘config.status’: Permission denied

This is really surprising.

> [~/src/mutt]> icacls config.status
> config.status NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,REA,X,DC)
>               UX31A\ismail:(F)
>               UX31A\ismail:(RX)
>               NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX,W,DC)
>               BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX,W,DC)
>               Everyone:(RX)
>
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> [~/src/mutt]> icacls .
> . NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,REA,X,DC)
>   UX31A\ismail:(F)
>   UX31A\ismail:(RX)
>   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX,W,DC)
>   BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX,W,DC)
>   Everyone:(RX)
>   NULL SID:(OI)(CI)(IO)(DENY)(Rc,S,REA,X,DC)
>   CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
>   CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX,W,DC)
>   BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX,W,DC)
>   Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

I created the exact same scenario with the exact same ACLs, just with my
own account as user and group, and I can't reproduce a "Permission
denied".  chmod simply works for me.  Weird.

While looking into this I found some other problems in this owner==group
scenario, so I applied a few patches.  I'm just creating new developer
snapshots and a 2.0.0-0.6 test release.

It would be nice if you could update, test again, and if the problem
still occurs, I think I'll need an strace of the above chmod call as
in:

  $ strace -o chmod.trace chmod +x config.status

This combined with the icacls of the ACLs of config.status and the
parent dir, just to be sure the new Cygwin created the same ACLs.

Thanks in advance,
Corinna

Red Hat