dig utility in bind-utils-9.9.7-1 returns no output

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:57:00 GMT 2015

On 4/14/2015 8:39 PM, Keith Christian wrote:
> Brian, Andre,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions / info.
>
> Examples below.  "No output" means that dig provided no reply or
> diagnostic info to the Cygwin screen as can be seen below, even when
> asking for the internal help text.
>
> Dig was working fine until the last update, I've
> uninstalled/reinstalled it, etc.  Most baffling issue I've seen with a
> simple executable in awhile.
>
> I'd expect some access problem to the DNS servers, except that the
> native Windows nslookup utility works fine.
>
> Tue Apr 14 12:26:27 pty2 >dig +trace google.com
>
> Tue Apr 14 12:26:31 pty2 >dig --help

this should give you

$ dig --help
Invalid option: --help
Usage:  dig [@global-server] [domain] [q-type] [q-class] {q-opt}
             {global-d-opt} host [@local-server] {local-d-opt}
             [ host [@local-server] {local-d-opt} [...]]

Use "dig -h" (or "dig -h | more") for complete list of options

I assume you are missing some of dll's

what is the output of

   cygcheck dig

Regards