Libguile17 dependency issue - attention maintainer

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 12 20:17:00 GMT 2015

On 12/04/15 11:03, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Removing the cygwin specific usage of
>   cygwin_conv_to_posix_path / cygwin_conv_path
> did the work. Make check passed on 64bit, and make doc fails
> on a corner case, most of the HTML documentation was built.

OK, so I couldn't resist a little play :-)

Seemed to work well with all the '.ly' files I threw at it. I generated
PDF, PNG and MIDI files successfully. I tried a few files from a web
site with lots of freely available lilypond files, and a couple of files
gave warnings. If you try:

     wget
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/PaganiniN/O1/Caprice_23/Caprice_23.ly
     lilypond --formats=pdf,png Caprice_23.ly

Then you see repeated instances of the following warnings:

     warning: no PostScript font name for font
`/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/ncenR24.pcf.gz'
     warning: FreeType face has no PostScript font name

     programming error: Improbable offset for stencil: -inf staff space
     Setting to zero.
     continuing, cross fingers

I didn't have time to cross my fingers, but the resulting output files
all looked fine ;-)

I ran the same test using the stock 'lilypond' package in Fedora 21 (the
version of lilypond is the same), and the warnings weren't generated.
The first warning is a little baffling, as lilypond knows where the
PostScript fonts are (the path is specified as a ./configure option).
It's worth saying that most of the files I tried worked fine without
generating warnings.

BTW, I assume you're aware that the 'lilypond-doc' package is missing
most of its content, and that this will be fully populated when the
'corner case' you mentioned is ironed out.

> The 32 bit builds but does not works. I suspect there is an additional
> problem with the underlying dependencies, or we are triggering an
> existing problem not visible on Linux platform.

Have you tried the old version of lilypond we have in x86 at the moment?
I couldn't get it to work at all. Every '.ly' file I passed to it (even
simple ones) caused a segmentation fault. So your suspicion about one of
the dependencies looks well founded.

Dave.