[TESTERS needed] New POSIX permission handling

İsmail Dönmez ismail@donmez.ws
Sun Apr 12 13:21:00 GMT 2015

Hi,

Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> On Apr 11 10:11, donmez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
>> > Hi folks,
>> >

>> > I just applied a patch I'm working on for quite some time now.  As I
>> > outlined before on this list, the POSIX permission handling has aged
>> > considerably and, for historical reasons, did things differently
>> > dependent on the calling function.  I took the time to reimplement the
>> > core functionality to handle all ACLs as strictly following POSIX ACL
>> > rules as possible.
>>
>> I tested the updated package and at least quilt and mutt seems to broken
>> by
>> the permission changes:
>>
>> [~]> quilt new foo
>> cat: /tmp/quilt.mwTVWM: Permission denied
>> Patch patches/foo is now on top
>>
>> And running mutt results in:
>>
>> "Error creating temporary file /tmp/mutt-...."
>>
>> Rolling back to an older snapshot fixes the problem.
>
> Thanks, but...
>
> No offense, but this is not overly helpful.  The problem is to learn
> *why* this happens and how to fix it.  For that I'd need to know what
> your permissions on /tmp look like (ls -l, getfacl, icacls).  Creating
> files in my /tmp (having an old-style ACL) with the following
> permissions works as desired for me:

Hopefully this will shed some more light:

[~]> uname -rm
2.0.0(0.287/5/3) x86_64

[~]> ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt+ 1 ismail ismail 0 Apr 12 16:13 /tmp

[~]> getfacl /tmp
# file: /tmp
# owner: ismail
# group: ismail
# flags: --t
user::rwx
user:ismail:rwx
group::rwx
mask:rwx
other:rwx
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:mask:r-x
default:other:r-x

[~]> icacls C:\\cygwin64\\tmp
C:\cygwin64\tmp UX31A\ismail:(F)
        UX31A\ismail:(RX,W)
        Everyone:(RX,W)
        NULL SID:(RD)
        CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
        CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
        Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

       Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

[~]> touch /tmp/foo

[~]> ls -l /tmp/foo
-rw-r--r--+ 1 ismail ismail 0 Apr 12 16:16 /tmp/foo

[~]> getfacl /tmp/foo
# file: /tmp/foo
# owner: ismail
# group: ismail
user::rw-
user:ismail:r-x
group::---
mask:r--
other:r--

[~]> icacls C:\\cygwin64\\tmp\\foo
C:\cygwin64\tmp\foo
        NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,X,DC)
        UX31A\ismail:(DENY)(S,X)
        UX31A\ismail:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
        UX31A\ismail:(RX)
        UX31A\ismail:(DENY)(S,X)
        UX31A\ismail:(RX)
        Everyone:(R)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

<brown paper bag> I hope this to be a generic bug, skimmed over one
important details. This is on Win 10 beta build 10049 x64</brown paper bag>.

Thanks!