ld crashes with segmentation fault when linking with libmpir.a

Daniel R. Grayson danielrichardgrayson@gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 02:58:00 GMT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 2014-09-17 19:28, Daniel R. Grayson wrote:
>>
>> This bug prevents me from linking our program under cygwin.  The program
>> is Macaulay2, see http://macaulay2.com/.  I'm working now on a work-around
>> involving using libgmp instead of libmpir, and I expect that to be
>> successful.
>

> Never link directly with ld; you must link with gcc/g++/etc. and leave it to
> the compiler to call ld correctly.

Normally we use "gcc" and let it call "ld" for us.  But "ld" crashed, so for
the purpose of the bug report, I've isolated the problem to its
simplest manifestation.