perl -d causes completion to fail

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Oct 22 17:09:00 GMT 2014

On 10/22/2014 7:50 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

>> I've never installed any Cygwin stuff from anything other than
>> setup.exe.  The Cygwin mirror I typically use is
>> http://mirrors.kernal.org. Oddly enough, looking at it now, I see
>> Current as 2.1-1 and "new" as 1.3-1. Huh? OK... Installing "new"...
>
> Cygwin Ports uses setup-*.exe for installing its packages.  It's also
> currently distributing bash-completion 2.1-1, so I strongly suspect that
> at some point -- intentionally or not -- you installed the Cygwin Ports
> version.

If I did it was totally unintentional especially considering I don't
know what a Cygwin Ports is though I imagine it about porting open
source software to Cygwin and perhaps maybe a site. Are you telling me
that http://mirrors.kernal.org is a "Cygwin Ports" site?

Ah dang! You're right! I recalled that setup asks for a local package
dir and I typically keep a Cygwin folder with all of the stuff I use
downloaded in case anybody else wants to use it locally. I recalled how
it has directories under it with encoded URL names so I decided to check
my "repo" and lo and behold there's a
ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.cygwinports.org%2fpub%2fcygwinports%2f directory there.
I had no idea that this "Ports" URL was different than any other URL in
that list...

OK so is this bad? Should I remove it? How would I "back this out"?

> Incidentally, almost everything in this mail trail so far could have
> been skipped if you'd included `cygcheck -srv` output in your initial
> email, as we'd have been able to tell straight away that you weren't
> using the official Cygwin version of bash-completion.
>
>> Well now I do have 1.3-1 and I have an /etc/bash_completion.d/perl,
>> but it behaves the same... :-(
>
> The next step I'd suggest is to check if the upstream bash-completion
> package has the behaviour you're looking for.
>
> If upstream does have this behaviour, you can (a) install it yourself,
> separately from the Cygwin install (but be aware the list won't support
> problems you hit unless/until you can identify the Cygwin-distributed
> component that's causing the problem), and/or (b) request the Cygwin
> bash-completion maintainer upgrade to a more recent version.
>
> If upstream doesn't have this behaviour, I can see a bunch of options:
>
> a) Write a plugin yourself to do it.  The obvious place to put this
>     would be ~/.bash_completion, which is automatically included by the
>     bash_completion scripts if it exists.  Optionally submit it upstream
>     then follow all the previous instructions about getting it included
>     in Cygwin.

Wow! I didn't know that bash_completion sourced ~/.bash_completion.
That's good to know as I have written my own bash_completions - an
extensive set that covers just about all of the Clearcase commands
complete with smarts to complete Clearcase objects like labels, branch
names, etc. Contact me if you want a copy.

> b) Find the mailing list/equivalent for upstream and ask them to add the
>     feature.  See above if they actually do so.
> c) Find a third-party plugin that provides this feature.  Install it
>     manually or ITP it and have it included in Cygwin properly.
> d) Live without it.

Quite honestly option D is the best choice for me at this moment as this
is the only thing that doesn't complete for me and I'm about to be
hammered at work and too busy to follow up on this. Maybe later.

Damn good response though! Thanks.
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com