perl -d causes completion to fail

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Wed Oct 22 14:50:00 GMT 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 02:04:18PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 1:05 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> >>I ran setup and I see a "Keep" for 2.1-1 of bash-completion. I believe
> >>that means it's already installed.
> >
> >It means you installed it from some source (Cygwin Ports maybe?) other
> >than a Cygwin mirror.  As Adam said, Cygwin provides version 1.3-1.
>
> I've never installed any Cygwin stuff from anything other than
> setup.exe.  The Cygwin mirror I typically use is
> http://mirrors.kernal.org. Oddly enough, looking at it now, I see
> Current as 2.1-1 and "new" as 1.3-1. Huh? OK... Installing "new"...

Cygwin Ports uses setup-*.exe for installing its packages.  It's also
currently distributing bash-completion 2.1-1, so I strongly suspect that
at some point -- intentionally or not -- you installed the Cygwin Ports
version.

Incidentally, almost everything in this mail trail so far could have
been skipped if you'd included `cygcheck -srv` output in your initial
email, as we'd have been able to tell straight away that you weren't
using the official Cygwin version of bash-completion.

> Well now I do have 1.3-1 and I have an /etc/bash_completion.d/perl,
> but it behaves the same... :-(

The next step I'd suggest is to check if the upstream bash-completion
package has the behaviour you're looking for.

If upstream does have this behaviour, you can (a) install it yourself,
separately from the Cygwin install (but be aware the list won't support
problems you hit unless/until you can identify the Cygwin-distributed
component that's causing the problem), and/or (b) request the Cygwin
bash-completion maintainer upgrade to a more recent version.

If upstream doesn't have this behaviour, I can see a bunch of options:

a) Write a plugin yourself to do it.  The obvious place to put this
   would be ~/.bash_completion, which is automatically included by the
   bash_completion scripts if it exists.  Optionally submit it upstream
   then follow all the previous instructions about getting it included
   in Cygwin.
b) Find the mailing list/equivalent for upstream and ask them to add the
   feature.  See above if they actually do so.
c) Find a third-party plugin that provides this feature.  Install it
   manually or ITP it and have it included in Cygwin properly.
d) Live without it.