what path to use that is not DOS??

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 16:26:00 GMT 2014

On 10/11/2014 03:37 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 10/08/2014 01:55 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
>>> I get this message the 1st time logging in via 'rlogin':
>>>
>>>  MS-DOS style path detected:
>>> /Windows/System32/cygwin/usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>>>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is:
>>> /Windows/System32/cygwin/usr/spool/mail/Bliss/law
>>
>> Could any prefix of that path be a symlink with questionable contents?
>
> Cygwin can't use any of the normal methods to find my home
> and because USERNAME isn't set it tries 'USER'.
>
> So for a mail-spool dir it looks for
> /usr/spool/mail/<USER=Bliss\law>

Is it cygwin1.dll or rlogin that is trying to convert $USER into a
determination of a mail spool directory?  If it is cygwin, we should
probably patch cygwin to ignore or modify any $USER containing
backslash, rather than trying to treat it as a subdirectory.  That is,
tilde expansion will treat '~Bliss/law' as the username 'Bliss' with a
subdirectory 'law', rather than as the single username 'Bliss\law'.  I
suspect the bug is in rlogin rather than cygwin, though, if you are only
getting the message when trying to log in with rlogin, and since the
message is about a mail spool and not about a $HOME.

Meanwhile, I still wonder why the error message is printing 'Bliss/law'
as the problematic string, when it appears that the reason the warning
appeared is because rlogin was using $USER literally as 'Bliss\law'.  We
may still need to find and squash a cygwin bug that displays the message
incorrectly.