/usr/local, /var and */tmp in c:\Users\Public

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Thu Nov 13 22:50:00 GMT 2014

Greetings, Warren Young!

>>> I propose that this or something like it be added to the default
>>> fstab.
>>
>> No.  This would even break Setup right now.

> I’m guessing this is because setup.exe doesn’t know what to do with a
> redirected /var and /usr/local on the first install, when /etc/fstab doesn’t exist yet?

> I assume setup.exe does obey /etc/fstab on subsequent installs.  If not, I
> can see that this will break the installation of any package that puts files in either location.

I can't see, why it ever should care about /etc/fstab at all.
The postinstall scripts - they do, but again, they run in cygwin environment,
not native.

> I don’t see that the */tmp changes would bother setup.exe.

> None of these problems seem difficult.  Doesn’t setup.exe write the initial
> /etc/fstab, and so is in a position to know what it will contain on first install?

Even if it does, there's no reason to read it on subsequent updates.
The expectation is that the directory tree is in one place. If you really want
to scatter it, use native tools. It is possible and way less intrusive.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...