RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Mon Nov 10 21:18:00 GMT 2014

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> - If your account is an AD account, the home directory is taken from the
>   RFC 2307 entry unixHomeDirectory.

This isn't set yet in our domain, but there's another AD just for the
UNIX accounts (I haven't looked at how that one is structured yet).
There's talk about maybe unifying these two AD in the future, but I have
no idea how that would work.

> - Otherwise, if these values are empty or don't exist, your fallback
>   home directory is /home/$USER (without domain prefix).
>
> As you may have noticed, there's nothing in there taking the Windows
> home directory into account.  It's indeed not used at all by the new
> code.

I think that is generally the right idea, since mixing all the .-files
into the normal Windows home directory results in a mess, especially
when there are Windows programs ported from Unix that use the same
scheme for themselves.  What I'm doing right now is to create an
/etc/fstab.d/$USER that mounts a subdirectory of the Windows $HOME
(always a network drive for normal domain users) when I set up a new
users' machine or login on a server.  I also mount the actual Windows
home back under ~/winhome.

> Shall the "db" entries utilize the Windows home folder if it exits(*)
> and drop using the unixHomeDirectory?  It seems inevitable...

That would cause serious problems for me I think.  Keeping the home
directory pinned to /home/$USER and automounting this based on some rule
involving either or both of those entries seems a better idea in the
long run.

Regards,
Achim.