[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Mon Nov 10 19:21:00 GMT 2014

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> You are always free to change the passwd/group files manually:
>>>
>>>    $ mkpasswd -l | sed -e 's/^[^:]*+//' > /etc/passwd
>> Of course, and it is good that this is still possible. But this would
>> require that all existing scripts relying on old behavior need to be
>> changed.
>>
>> I still don't understand why this backward compatibility break of "mkpasswd
>> -l" was mandatory.
>>
>> Most *-config scripts using "mkpasswd -l -u USER" may need to be changed.
> Definitely.  The change is inevitable since most scripts using mkpasswd
> or mkgroup do so to create entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.  But
> this doesn't make sense anymore, or if so, only marginally so.

OK.

What will be the behavior of the predecessor of e.g. the csih function
csih_create_unprivileged_user if called with USER without HOST prefix,
machine is inside of domain and the user does not exist:
- create local windows USER and require the config script to retrieve
the actual Cygwin HOST+USER name,
- fail and tell the calling config script to retry with HOST+USER
instead (if possible),
- create local windows USER and create a /etc/passwd entry to support a
non-prefixed Cygwin USER in this case,
- one of the above, selected by a new option.
- ...
?

>> Local scripts from Cygwin users which use "mkpasswd -l" may need to be
>> changed.
> They are not supposed to use mkpasswd anymore since they don't need it,
> only in very special circumstances.

Wouldn't it be better to let mkpasswd -l simply fail with an explanatory
error message instead of producing non-backward compatible results? Or
at least print a warning to stderr?

>    And then I expect that they will
> have to change the created files manually anyway.

It depends. One of my use cases relies on non-prefixed local user names
which match the (also non-prefixed :-) windows local user names. The
usual duplicates with domain users (Administrator, Guest) never resulted
in any problems.

Christian