[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Fri Nov 7 20:51:00 GMT 2014

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> In theory there should be only one option -l [machine], which prints the
>>> local accounts of the current machine unprefixed (standalone machine) or
>>> prefixed (domain machine), and always prefixed for a foreign machine.
>>> The -L option can just go away.
>> I disgree.
>>
>> Why not keep the old behavior of -l/-L for user names of current machine for
>> those uses cases which rely on it?
> You are always free to change the passwd/group files manually:
>
>    $ mkpasswd -l | sed -e 's/^[^:]*+//' > /etc/passwd

Of course, and it is good that this is still possible. But this would
require that all existing scripts relying on old behavior need to be
changed.

I still don't understand why this backward compatibility break of
"mkpasswd -l" was mandatory.

Most *-config scripts using "mkpasswd -l -u USER" may need to be
changed. Local scripts from Cygwin users which use "mkpasswd -l" may
need to be changed. Scripts tested by maintainers only outside a domain
may no longer work inside a domain.

An IMO better way would be to keep the old "mkpasswd -l" behavior and
invent a new option for the output with the new non-domain/domain prefix
handling.

Then  a user would be able to "opt-in" for "local users of a domain
machine always have a prefix" by
   $ mkpasswd --the-new-local-option > /etc/passwd
or even simpler:
   $ > /etc/mkpasswd

A user could "opt-out" by simply keeping all everything as-is for now :-)

This IMO would provide a much smother migration path.

Christian