Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Tue Nov 4 09:00:00 GMT 2014

On Nov  3 19:03, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > Off the top of my head I don't know how hard that would be, but it
> > doesn't sound like an especially bad idea to me.  Au contraire.
>
> It should be quite easy since the postinstall scripts are run in POSIX
> sort order.  Just give the script a name like 00001_autorebase.bat and
> it should always be the first one that runs.
>
> > One thing we could test is if we can't get away without tweaking
> > setup.exe, by changing the dependencies only.  Right now _autorebase
> > requires rebase and dash packages.  Both are in Base anyway, but they
> > pull in more dependencies which result in something like a rat tail of
> > dependencies.  So I'm wondering if tweaking _autorebase' setup.hint file
> > like this:
>
> Dependencies are not evaluated at all when installing or running
> scripts.

That's not correct.  From the dependencies, setup generates a dependency
graph which is used to get a sequential order in which to call
the scripts.  See /var/log/setup.log.full, it contains the dependency
order before starting the scripts.

Years ago we had some trouble to get the base-cygwin script running
first due to a couple of dependency loops.  And we have such loops
again, apparently.  My dependency list on 64 bit (not all packages
installed) now starts like this:

  libbz2_1 _autorebase cygwin zlib0 libpng15 ...

The worst thing AFAICS is that base-cygwin only comes after lots and
lots of other packages for some reason.

This needs some investigation.

Corinna

Red Hat