Issues with Cygwin on Windows 8.1

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Thu May 8 03:09:00 GMT 2014

On 5/7/2014 10:11 PM, Dato wrote:
>      I just set up Cygwin for x86 on my Windows 8.1 (64-bit) machine, and
> have been seeing the following issues:

> 2. When invoking python, I don't get the python's prompt back:
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ which python
>    /usr/bin/python
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ python
>
> It basically just hangs there. I have to ^C to get the shell prompt back.

I've run python without seeing such problems.
Outgoing scp completes the transfer but requires follow-up by ctrl-C or
it will require closing the shell.  Incoming scp doesn't exhibit this
problem.

Delays in returning to shell prompt after running a .exe built under
cygwin (thus requiring several cygwin dlls) seemed to be caused partly
by  spyware and anti-spyware activity.  Win8.x seems to be spyware
playground (some of that came pre-installed by Acer).

--
Tim Prince