Setting up Apache2 with mod_perl and Apache2::AuthCookieLDAP

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue May 6 21:12:00 GMT 2014

On 5/6/2014 12:33 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 5/6/2014 11:42, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> I could just switch to a Linux server but I figured I'd try my
>> Windows laptop first.
>
> Don't neglect the option of running a minimal Linux VM on the laptop.
> You can shove a headless Linux VMs into a pretty small slice of RAM.

Well I do happen to have a Linux VM but usually I'm just given a Windows
laptop by my clients and must press on. Sure I could download and
install vmware and get a Linux VM setup but that's a lot of work to do
to set up a machine I'm basically only using for one thing. Sure setting
up Cygwin takes work/care/feeding but I can then use that Cygwin
installation all the time to connect to and develop stuff.

>> Goal: Set up Apache2 on my Windows laptop with mod_perl
>
> mod_perl has been slowly dying for years.  It's not dead yet (*thwack*)
> but it pretty much only works with Apache 2.2 and older.  RHEL7 won't
> include it at all, because it will ship with Apache 2.4.6.  There are
> third-party patches floating around the net that restore compatibility,
> but this isn't the sort of thing you want to be building programs
> against that have to live for many years to come.

Yeah thanks for all of that but really my real goal was just to get
Apache2::AuthCookieLDAP working. That seems to require mod_perl. Of
course if mod_perl is dying then that brings in the question of "Is it
worth it to develop a login page to authenticate with Active Directory
and store cookies to ease logins if this all might be going away?".

... <interesting info deleted but I will read up on it later - thanks! ...

> If you do go with Dancer or something like it, you don't need to use
> Cygwin Apache.  The native Windows version of Apache will perform much
> better, and when used as a reverse proxy, you probably won't need any of
> the benefits you get from using Cygwin Apache which native Apache
> wouldn't have, such as the ability to compile and load some of the more
> esoteric modules that only build on POSIXy systems.
>
>> First problem (minor): I can't figure out how to install Apache2 as a
>> Windows service.
>
> Another reason to native Windows Apache instead.

Personally I prefer Cygwin Apache because all of the pathing then can be
POSIX-like and can easily port to Linux systems later on. Plus Cygwin's
Perl is, IMHO, far superior to ActiveState.

However I had set up Apache2 as a Windows service before so I know it's
doable. I just forget how to do it! ;-) I thought it was just to specify
-k or perhaps -DNO_DETACH or something like that...