sox - package is broken

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 11:53:00 GMT 2014

On 10/03/2014 11:14, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Does anybody feel up to the task to debug this issue in the Cygwin DLL?
> The DSP code is practically only in a single file called fhandler_dsp.cc.

I've started looking at this, but it is at the very bottom of my
priority queue so progress might be slow. Thus far, I've determined that
the last 1.5s are missing from *all* wav files piped to /dev/dsp. If
your wav file happens to be less that 1.5s then you get nothing. This
hasn't been noticed to date because most audio files (e.g. songs)
contain an amount of silence at the end of the file to separate the tracks.

The code mentioned above maintains a circular buffer that holds 1.5s
worth of sample data, so it is probable that this buffer isn't getting
flushed properly. I've spent an evening debugging the code, but haven't
turned up anything yet. It doesn't help that the code is rather sparsely
commented.

I'll post again if I learn more.

Dave.