64-bit TAR fails with "Cannot connect to e: resolve failed"

Sat Mar 15 16:35:00 GMT 2014

On Mar 14 21:21, Peter Binney wrote:
> Please ignore/delete this - I realise this has nothing to do with the
> change from 32 to 64 bit.
>
> It has always been a problem, which I have a wrapper script to work
> round (I'd forgotten to install the wrapper after the upgrade).

In tar, the colon in a filename is treated specially, see `info tar':

   If the archive file name includes a colon (':'), then it is assumed
   to be a file on another machine.  If the archive file is
   'USER@HOST:FILE', then FILE is used on the host HOST.  The remote host
   is accessed using the 'rsh' program, with a username of USER.

To workaround this, you can use the --force-local option.

Corinna

Red Hat