Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Tue Mar 4 08:10:00 GMT 2014

On 3/3/2014 18:36, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Once TCP session is established, it remains,
> until closed or dropped on either end of the wire.

Have you done the packet capture to prove that Windows does in fact keep
the LDAP connection to the AD server up continually, or are you making
an assumption?

> Amount of packets doesn't matter

Even if the connection stays up all the time, an LDAP lookup is almost
certain to take more than one packet each way.

Packet round trip time (RTT) varies by orders of magnitude among
networks, from sub-ms on a fast, quiet LAN to on the order of a full
second for a slow WAN.

Since the number of packets is a function of the number of round trips,
a network with an RTT of 0.9s will take more than the proposed 3 seconds
to process a query that requires 4 round trips, even if the processing
delay on either end is essentially 0.

You have to measure it to find out.

And yes, I have personally used networks with an RTT > 1.0s.