Unpacking 7z archives on Cygwin64

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 09:19:00 GMT 2014

On 02/03/14 07:26, Tony Kelman wrote:
> I'm still not clear, do 64 bit packages have their own independent
> set of patches, or is it necessary to write patches that work for
> both 32 bit and 64 bit?

This is really up to the package maintainer. Personally, I prefer to
have one cygport file and patch set that builds both sources. I test
uname(1) if I need something specific for one architecture. This means
that I can keep my cygport files and patches in version control and have
two instances checked out, one for each architecture. It also means that
the source tarball is generic. The downside is that I can't
cross-compile. However, I'm sure that there are a number of maintainers
who will do things differently.

On the subject of maintainers, p7zip does have one; it is really up to
Mr. Wilson to prepare a 64-bit version whenever he is ready to do so.
I'm sure he'll appreciate the work that you've done in getting this far.
That said, we have precedent for some 'non-maintainer uploads' for
64-bit, just to make up the numbers and fill some important gaps.

Cheers,

Dave.