"warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10"

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 05:05:00 GMT 2014

On 19/06/2014 06:23, Charles Walrus wrote:
> Hello sorry to bother.
> I did research, could not find relevant support for this problem, so I
> am coming to the mailing list as last ditch.

Hi Charles,
welcome here

> Here's the problem: When I try to use plot in octave, I get the
> following output:

Is it a specific plot command or just a generic

x=1:10; plot(x,x)

?

> "warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
> ... [repeated roughly 100 times]
> warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
> warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
> panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
> Aborted (core dumped)"
>
> Then it quits octave and returns me back to the terminal.
> I am using Cygwin on a Windows 8 system.

cygwin 32 or 64 bit ?

> I am using octave 3.8.1.
> It doesn't seem to be that I'm missing any critical files because I do
> have etc/fonts.conf where it should be.

the file should be in
etc/fonts/fonts.conf

however fc-list will show you the full list of installed and
recognized fonts

 > But honestly I have no clue
> and it doesn't seem like anybody else is having this specific problem.
> Most other people who received the double warnings seemed to have
> additional errors and path configuration errors that provided some
> information. Any help is greatly appreciated, and, though I have done
> a lot of research already, I hope that this hasn't already been
> answered.
>
> Thank you
> aWarmWalrus
>
> --

could you please follow

specially at the
"Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
easily viewed. "

this will give us a view of your system status

Regards
Marco