gecos from AD? (was Re: timeout in LDAP access)

Tue Jun 17 10:30:00 GMT 2014

On Jun 17 12:00, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 16 22:39, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> > Another (unrelated and less important) problem is that 'getent'
> > happily produces lines with some extra ‘:’, in particular when the
> > gecos field itself contains ‘:’.
>
> Wow, that *is* important.  All fields returned from the server have to
> get their colons converted to commas.  I'll fix that.

While we're at it... do we really need the gecos info?  Cygwin fills
out this field with the Windows username and SID info for internal
purposes, and then adds the gecos info from AD.  However, it's just
informational and usually only used by the finger(1) tool.

Shall I just remove fetching the gecos fields from AD entirely?

Corinna

Red Hat