Change PS1 when running as administrator

GrahamC grahamc001uk@yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:40:00 GMT 2014

On Monday, 16 June 2014, 12:25, Frank Fesevur <ffes@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a new home computer, so I switched from XP to Win81.
> With Win81 every now and then I need to start cygwin as administrator
> (right click shortcut or tile, run as administrator) to do things that
> I can't do as a normal user.
>
> When I run as administrator I change my PS1 from "$" to "#" with these
> line in ~/.bashrc.
>
> if id -Gn | grep -i Administrators > /dev/null
> then
>    PS1='\[\e]0;\w\a\]\n\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n# '
> else
>    PS1='\[\e]0;\w\a\]\n\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$ '
> fi
>
> I don't know if the test can be done a better/easier way, but it works
> for me on a Dutch Win81. I tested it with both 1.7.30 and a recent
> AD/SAM snapshot.
>
> If more people like this idea, maybe it could included in /etc/bash.bashrc?
>
> Regards,
> Frank

Personally I use a test like:  if [ -w /etc ] for this, which works provided a write ACL has not been added for ordinary users on the directory \cygwin\etc. Administrators have write access to this directory.

Bash supports regular expressions, so if [[ `id` =~ Administrators ]] is a shorter test equivalent to your example.