The eternal uid issue

Fri Jul 25 12:42:00 GMT 2014

On Jul 24 23:42, D. Boland wrote:
> [...]
> Sendmail checks if the user's home directories are group- or world
> writable. It does this with 'stat'. If Sendmail is running in 'crude'
> mode (main program and children running as the Sendmail 'smmsp' user,
> made admin), stat returns the right file mode for my home directory
> (rwxr-xr-x). The email is delivered.
>
> If I have Sendmail running in preferred mode (main program as
> cyg_server, children running as 'smmsp', removed from admin group),
> stat returns the wrong mode (rwxrwxrwx). As a consequence, Sendmail
> refuses to deliver email.
>
> Can I do anything about this?

That shouldn't happen.  Unless your home dir is on FAT or FAT32
and you're using the wrong umask.  For a start, can you try this:

Login as user smmsp twice, once with admin privs, once without.
Each time, run the following command:

  $ strace -o stat.trace stat <your home dir>

And send the output of stat, as well as the two generated trace files
here.  This might give us a clue.

Corinna

Red Hat