Issue with cygwin svn and files with unicode characters

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Mon Jul 21 14:30:00 GMT 2014

On 7/21/2014 10:15 AM, olivier barthelemy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sending this here and not to subversion project directly, since i
> am seeing my problem in svn 1.8.1 of cygwin, but not on SVN 1.8.1 of
> TortoiseSVN.
>
> I just added a file with unicode chinese characters in a folder where
> a repository is checked out. I didn't add that file to the repository,
> it's only present locally. However, when i do a svn update from
> cygwin, i get the errror :
>
> svn: E000022: Error converting entry in directory '/my/path' to UTF-8
> svn: E000022: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
> svn: E000022: File?\232?\139?\185?\230?\158?\156.txt
>
> Numeric codes correspond to 苹果
>
> As far as i know, windows file paths are always encoded in unicode, so
> why is it assuming that my locale encoding is different than that?
> And why is this error on a file that is not versionned preventing me
> from updating my repository?

Perhaps you can tell us how you have your locale set up in cygwin.
I think it *might* affect things, though you *are* talking about
file names (paths), as opposed to their contents.  The locale is
affected by things like the LANG environment variable, etc.

Regards -- Eliot Moss