Observations about Cygwin's md5 checksums

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:02:00 GMT 2014

On 08/07/2014 05:12, Luke Kendall wrote:
> On 07/07/14 20:05, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> On 07/07/2014 06:38, Luke Kendall wrote:
>>
>> setup.ini is built using the setup.hint's of the several packages.
>> No further usage outside the www.cygwin.com server.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, Marco.  Can I check what you mean?
> I think you're saying that setup.hint has no function once setup.ini has
> been created.
> (You're not saying "setup.ini shouldn't be used for other purposes.")

I am saying that when we upload a new package we also upload the new
setup.hint.
On the main server (www.cygwin.com) setup.ini is updated using
this new data, by a program that runs every 10 or 20 minutes.
Sometimes we update only the setup.hint when a "require" issue need to
be solved.
No further usage is done of the setup.hint files on the main server.
Of course you can do what you want of them ;-) but the same
(and additional) information are inside setup.ini

>> during upload of new files the creation of md5.sum is out of sync
>> with the directory content. Md5.sum is updated 1 time per hour
>> If the mirror sync before the creation of the md5sum it has still the
>> old version.
>>

> Does that mean that if the md5.sum file were created at the same time
> that the package contents were updated, there would be no possible way
> for out-of-sync md5.sum files to be provided?  Do you think the current
> process could be improved?
>
> I have observed that the errors in the mirrors persist for weeks or more.

upgrade of setup.ini and update of md5sum are done by two different
processes.
Please note that the server is covering also other softwares not
only cygwin (https://www.sourceware.org/)

> Anyway, by changing our checking process to use the information in
> setup.ini instead of the md5.sum files which can be wrong (for many
> weeks), we can bypass the incorrect md5.sum files.

I expect so, as md5 in setup.ini is also used by setup-xxx.exe
to check for incorrect download.

Regards
Marco