TeX WYSIWG Editor

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Jul 7 22:08:00 GMT 2014

On 7/7/2014 4:57 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 4:41 PM, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>> Are there any TeX WYSIWG editors? In particular, ones that support
>> managing
>> changes in a distributed environment (as a minimum)? Changing TeX
>> documents
>> seems tedious (without a WYSIWG) if doing it by hand. Wordperfect and
>> Microsoft Word hid the font/formatting commands from the user to
>> produce a
>> WYSIWG editor, hence the question. Is there support for the same
>> capability
>> in the FSF environments for TeX.
>>
>> TeX seems to be 36 years old (circa 78 in Knuth's TeX Manual) and it
>> may be
>> a good thing to change to a language that contains a more attractive
>> interface, allows graphics/pictures, and provides the
>> multi-computer/multi-terminal support that TeX has.
>
> Yes, there are things out there.  It's kind of off-topic for the
> cygwin list since it has more to do with TeX than cygwin.  Lyx is
> one example; there may be others.

Emacs users can also try auctex (which includes a WYSIWG preview feature).

Another option is TeXworks, available from Cygwin Ports, but the last
time I tried to use it (a couple years ago) I ran into serious problems
that I couldn't solve.  See the thread starting at

   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-03/msg00060.html

and continuing at

   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-04/msg00001.html

I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Ken