Why do I need Cygwin for Yeoman?

Andrea Venturoli ml@netfence.it
Fri Jul 4 09:23:00 GMT 2014

On 07/04/14 11:01, Clare Sudbery wrote:

> I am currently working through a Yeoman tutorial (here:
> http://yeoman.io/codelab.html).

Foreword: I don't even know what Yeoman is...

> The tutorial recommends using Cygwin as a command prompt ("Most of your
> interactions with Yeoman will be through the command line. Run commands
> in the Terminal app if youÂ’re on Mac, your shell in Linux, or Cygwin if
> you are on Windows.").

Their FAQs says it different: "On Windows, we use the command shell
(cmd.exe) or PowerShell.".

I would get sick fast of cmd.exe, but I never bothered trying PowerShell.

> I had never heard of Cygwin before, so I assumed it was just an enhanced
> command prompt.

No, it's not.

> I see from the home page that Cygwin is used to do Linus
> dev in a Windows environment.

Not even this.

> thought I may as well use whatever tools were being used in the Yeoman
> tutorial.

As I said before, no one sane would use cmd.exe as its prompt.
Having a decent shell is often one of the reason I install Cygwin when I
forcibly have to use Windows.

See https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.bloda.

> Do I actually NEED Cygwin to use Yeoman?

I don't think you need it, but (bearing in mind I don't even know
Yeoman) I think you want it.

> Can I just install a Cygwin command prompt and leave the rest?

No.

> As far as I can tell, I just want a command prompt!

Then I think you should look elsewhere (N.B. I don't know where).

  bye
	av.