Updated Cygwin yesterday, makewhatis is not present on my system

Keith Christian keith1christian@gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:47:00 GMT 2014

Chris,

So (I'm talking to you as if you are the maintainer of man-db....(are
you?)) mandb sounds like the man system Debian uses, where (at least a
few years ago) the whatis database is created by invoking "mandb -C."

Testing this - "mandb" alone creates the databases, even though there
is a "-c" argument to"mandb," which I am running at this moment.
"mandb -c" is emitting errors as it runs, "can't open," "bad symlink,"
"whatis parse for xxxxxx failed," etc.

Ok, I think I have figured it out.  Will the now unnecessary files
created by "makewhatis" be purged or overwritten by mandb?

Keith