setup.exe different packages

Chris J. Breisch chris.ml@breisch.org
Wed Jan 29 16:05:00 GMT 2014

Achim Gratz wrote:

> They are, if you don't fiddle with a checkbox that you shouldn't be able to
> toggle in the first place.  In other words it's a bug in the GUI that you
> are able to bypass the install of some Base packages.

No, I don't agree with that statement. I'd be more inclined to believe
that it's a bug in the command-line interface that doesn't allow you to
do what the GUI does.

The default installation package selected by the GUI is by no means a
minimally useful one, and there are many reasons why one might want to
install fewer packages than it includes. Being able to do so hardly
seems like a bug.

Frankly, I was surprised the dependency tree for bash was so large. Bash
depends on texinfo? I see the chain that gets you there, but it still
surprised me.

--
Chris J. Breisch