setup.exe different packages

Chris J. Breisch chris.ml@breisch.org
Tue Jan 28 18:19:00 GMT 2014

BGINFO4X wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> What is the recommende way to install ONLY one pakcage(bash for
> example) with the GUI?
>
> What I do is: All ->  Uninstall , then check for the package that I
> want: Base ->  Bash ->  Install
>
> If I do in this manner, I obtain less packages than installing bash
> from the command line with:
>
> setup-x86.exe -g -o --no-desktop --no-shortcuts --no-startmenu
> --local-install %CYGWINALOCALPACKAGES% --quiet-mode --root
> %CYGWINADMINDIR% --packages bash
>
> With the GUI I obtain 27 installed  packages, with setup-x86 command
> line I obtain 56 installed packages.
> I'm doing something wrong? How is this possible?

When you're doing it from the command line, you're getting a full base
Cygwin install. Your GUI method is only installing bash and the bash
dependencies. It looks like to me that there should be 27 packages.

I started to draw out a dependency tree, but it got to painful to type
up, and I doubt many would care. I'm surprised there's not such a thing
on the Cygwin site somewhere, but perhaps I'm just blind.

--
Chris J. Breisch