Base 64-bit Cygwin now requires Perl?

Mon Jan 13 19:35:00 GMT 2014

On 2014-01-13 12:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Actually, I didn't upload the 64-bit groff.  This is one of the reasons
> why I had reservations about people other than the package maintainers
> uploading packages.  The end result is that I'm forced to deal with
> someone else's decision.  This has been the case for a few of my
> packages, uploaded during the 64-bit transition.  If I had created the
> package I might have paused at the perl dependency since clearly groff
> is part of base.

There is no practical difference in packaging between your 1.21-2.i686
and 1.22.2-1.x86_64; they both include basically the same scripts, and
therefore *both* should rightly depend on perl.  Probably the best
solution to avoiding the perl dep in Base is to split up groff as on
Fedora, where 13 perl scripts plus their manpages and data are in a
separate groff-perl package.

Yaakov