sox - package is broken

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 00:27:00 GMT 2014

On 26/02/2014 22:38, Dr. Alexander Kleinsorge wrote:
> 1st sox problem:
> in Cygwin 1.7.28 sound is broken. (sox + play)
> I followed all hints as reply to my first post last week.
>
> $ play blip.wav
> blip.wav:
>   File Size: 1.33k     Bit Rate: 94.4k
>    Encoding: Unsigned PCM
>    Channels: 1 @ 8-bit
> Samplerate: 11025Hz
> Replaygain: off
>    Duration: 00:00:00.11
> In:100%  00:00:00.11 [00:00:00.00] Out:1.25k [======|======]        Clip:0
> Done.
> ==> BUT I DONT HEAR ANYTHING, but same file works with other windows
> players (==> soundcard + driver + speaker = ok).

I've been able to reproduce this using very short wav files (less than 2
seconds in duration); if I use a longer file then it seems to work OK.
Please could you try again with a longer wav file and report how you get on.

This may be a Cygwin problem (rather than an issue with sox itself), as
piping the wav file to /dev/dsp has the same result, i.e. short wav
files are not heard.

Cheers,

Dave.