Cygwin 1.7.28 (64bit) and Vim 7.4 build from source create SEGV when writing to a file.

Tue Feb 25 18:14:00 GMT 2014

On 2/25/2014 10:43 AM, Thomalla, Martin wrote:
>>> Which vim sources that work in cygwin should I use instead?
>>
>> If you didn't use source package that you can download through setup, you
>> can rerun setup and select it by checking the "Src?" checkbox.  But I
>> think you misunderstand my response.  You said that you built from source
>> yourself and added features that aren't built into the binary package that
>> you can install via setup.  When using those features in your binary, you
>> experienced SEGVs.  Since you are using features that aren't supported in
>> the Cygwin version, there's no guarantee that they will work as expected.
>> In other words, you're blazing a new trail under Cygwin so you'll be the
>> first to encounter any problems that may come from doing so.
>>
>> Another possible avenue to check is whether the upstream VIM package has
>> received any reports of problems with python and lua.  If so, there may be
>> patches or other solutions that could also be applied to Cygwin.
>>

>> --
>> Larry

>> A: Yes.
>>> Q: Are you sure?
>>

> Ok, I have already used the source packages I get through setup and
> encountered the problem.
> I have send the initial email also to the
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vim_dev list but haven't heard
> anything from there yet.

I'd recommend sending to the VIM developers list directly.

<http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-dev>

Also, checking the archives there may unearth some related discussion that
came up previously.

--
Larry